Computation is revolutionizing drug discovery. Advances in big chemical data, massive computing power, artificial intelligence, and molecular dynamics simulation are changing the way we develop new drugs. At 1910 Genetics, we put computation at the heart of drug discovery, blending expertise in computational chemistry, structural biology, pharmacology, genetics, data science, and software engineering to develop drugs for previously undruggable targets.
We are seeking an experienced biotech/pharmaceutical executive to join 1910 Genetics as our first ever Head of Business Development. As a member of the Senior Leadership Team (SLT), this individual will partner with the CEO, and lead all aspects of business development, corporate partnerships, strategic alliance management, and corporate development, while contributing to the company’s overall business and corporate strategy.
As a fast growing startup at the intersection of biotech/pharmaceuticals and technology, our needs will change over time, but today, we need an empathetic leader to:
- Build and lead our Business & Corporate Development function, including but not limited to in-licensing/out-licensing, strategic alliance management, corporate development, sales and revenue strategy, etc.
- Work closely with the SLT to develop, implement, and execute a corporate and business development strategy that capitalizes on the company’s proprietary AI-driven drug design technology platform and internal pipeline of drug candidates
- Build, track, and maintain a strong business development funnel of opportunities
- Create compelling strategic and commercial justifications of recommended deals including detailed financial models and competitive analyses, formulate and execute negotiations strategy, and with legal advisors, structure, and execute transactions
- Design and execute deals around the company’s AI-driven drug design technology platform for the design of both small molecule drugs and protein therapeutics for all therapeutic areas including but not limited to neuroscience, infectious disease, autoimmune/immunology, oncology, aging, metabolism, etc.
- Monetize drugs designed by the platform, leveraging the platform itself as a value driver, crafting the company’s strategic positioning, and identifying both organic and inorganic opportunities for growth
- Attract joint venture, co-development, collaborative research, strategic corporate investment, equity financing, and non-dilutive financing from pharmaceutical/biotechnology companies, foundations, and government agencies
- Diversify the business model, and establish 1910 as a company that derives value from both its internal pipeline and industry-leading AI-driven drug design platform, which serves as the engine for continued growth
- Identify, assess, and execute complex, creative deals with a variety of potential partners including pharmaceutical companies, biotech companies, foundations, research institutes, government agencies, etc. These collaborations can take a variety of forms, and include sell-side (and occasionally, buy-side) transactions, as well as joint ventures
- The successful candidate must be able to understand these opportunities from a strategic perspective as well as help bring them to fruition through term sheet negotiations and deal execution, working in partnership with the CEO and SLT
- Partner with the CEO and the SLT on board management and investor relations
Ideally, our Head of Business & Corporate Development has the following:
- Ph.D., M.D., and/or MBA from a top institution; background in biotech/pharma is required
- 10+ years of experience in senior business development roles such as such as CBO, VP of Business & Corporate Development from a VC-backed high growth biotech company
- An extensive and impressive deal sheet that demonstrates a track record of identifying, evaluating, structuring, negotiating, and executing sell-side deals with biotech and pharma companies
- Owing to the extensive and impressive deal sheet, has credibility within the biotech and pharmaceutical industry as a science-driven business leader of high intellect and character
- Track record of exceeding expectations on the eleven (11) key areas we define above as the current business & corporate development needs of 1910
Compensation & benefits
- Extremely generous equity package coupled with competitive salary
- Healthcare benefits
- Generous vacation and parental leave
- Super cool team building activities
- Flexible work schedule
- Great colleagues