Computation is revolutionizing drug discovery. Advances in big chemical data, massive computing power, artificial intelligence, and molecular dynamics simulation are changing the way we develop new drugs. At 1910 Genetics, we put computation at the heart of drug discovery, blending expertise in computational chemistry, structural biology, pharmacology, genetics, data science, and software engineering to develop drugs for previously undruggable targets.
The Head of People, in collaboration with the leadership team, will have responsibility for creating a work environment and culture that encourages equity and inclusion of employees and the opportunity to perform at the highest level. As a key executive you will design and direct all human resource functions along with crafting and carrying out human resource strategy for this exciting biotech company that is rapidly growing. The Head of People will have oversight for many functions, including but not limited to, employee relations, education/training, development, compensation, benefits, and talent acquisition. You will establish and support the systems, practices, and approaches that will enable the company to achieve its short- and long-term mission and business goals with the right people. The ideal candidate will demonstrate in words and actions a dedication to staffing, development, administration, and a distinct culture.
- Translate 1910’s corporate strategy into a people strategy that most effectively actualizes the company’s mission and vision.
- Become a trusted strategic partner within the company; maintain strong and positive working relationships in collaboration with senior leaders.
- Participate as a strategic partner in the development of 1910’s plans and programs, particularly from the perspective of impact on people; advise on programs that will improve on attracting, motivating, developing, and retaining talented team members.
- Develop and support Company brand ensuring global external view of the company is consistent with the vision of organization’s unique and compelling culture.
- Prepare Company handbook that reflects the policies, procedures, working conditions, and behavioral expectations that guide employees.
- Identify and understand key business drivers and ensure effective HR initiatives and solutions are delivered to complement and enhance the performance of the business.
- Develop resourcing strategies and actions that support timely and efficient scaling of 1910’s business including identifying talent within and outside the Company; develop and maintain networks and external sources for life science talent.
- Develop/enhance talent management programs including individual, team, and management training and development; lead evaluation, selection, and introduction of systems to manage and develop employees at all levels in the organization and ensure delivery of appropriate training programs; work with senior leadership to implement consistent company-wide career bands and growth ladders so that team members are always appropriately challenged and motivated.
- Create robust onboarding and orientation programs for new hires to ensure a smooth and positive integration experience for each new employee.
- Monitor and report on market trends in pay, benefits, and rewards structures; develop and enhance progressive and proactive compensation & benefits programs to provide motivation, incentives, and support for top performers, contributors to a healthy & positive culture, and champions of 1910’s mission, vision, and values.
- Actively develop, implement, and support programs to promote sustainable diversity, equity, and inclusion within the employee population.
- Develop, enhance, and maintain effective employee communication channels including measurement of employee engagement and feedback.
- Serve as an effective resource to resolve personnel-related and professional relationship work issues; when needed provide case decisions and appropriate corrective actions.
- Regularly challenge the status quo of the HR service and identify and implement continuous process improvements across all HR activities.
- Utilize HR KPIs and dashboards to demonstrate current status against targets and support decision making.
- Administer payroll, timekeeping, and government mandated benefits; draft announcement/memos in compliance with company policies and due process requirements; ensure that any risks associated with the HR function with respect to current and future legislation are communicated and managed appropriately and effectively.
- Partner with Legal to develop and administer employee compliance related initiatives
Position Requirements and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in human resource management, organizational development, or other relevant discipline; advanced degree preferred
- Proven experience at a senior level of leading and inspiring a successful HR department in a people-focused organization within the life sciences/biotech industry
- Strategic understanding and operational delivery of people services and best-in-class practices covering attraction, recruitment, performance management, employee engagement, talent management, and organizational development
- Experience in developing and embedding people-focused strategies to deliver on business objectives
- Significant experience of leading organization’s senior managers and teams through organizational change and growth driving a performance culture and developing high-performing leaders, employees, and teams
- Knowledge of human resources systems and processing software
- Ability to work with high volumes of confidential information in a professional manner
Personal & Professional Attributes
- Strategic & tactical
- Trustworthy; impeccable integrity
- Highly organized
- Positive energy; empowering
- Exceptional communicator
- Empathetic; authentic
- Mission-oriented; inspiring
- Critical thinker; detail-oriented
- Creative & innovative
- Collaborative; respectful
- Strong reasoning skills
Compensation & Benefits
- Extremely generous equity package coupled with competitive salary
- Healthcare benefits
- Generous vacation and parental leave
- Super cool team building activities
- Flexible work schedule
- Great colleagues