Computation is revolutionizing drug discovery. Advances in big chemical data, massive computing power, artificial intelligence, and molecular dynamics simulation are changing the way we develop new drugs. At 1910 Genetics, we put computation at the heart of drug discovery, blending expertise in computational chemistry, structural biology, pharmacology, genetics, data science, and software engineering to develop drugs for previously undruggable targets.
Scientist II, Assay Development and Screening
Computation is revolutionizing drug discovery. Advances in big chemical data, massive computing power, artificial intelligence, and molecular dynamics simulation are changing the way we develop new drugs. At 1910 Genetics, we put computation at the heart of drug discovery, blending expertise in computational chemistry, structural biology, pharmacology, genetics, data science, and software engineering to develop drugs for previously undruggable targets. To assist with our goal of expediting drug discovery, 1910 Genetics seeks a Scientist II, Assay Development and Screening, for an impactful position within our Biology Department. This individual would own the implementation and execution of in vitro assay development and screening strategies, assist in lab automation, manage the lab operations and activities of junior level scientists and CROs, and contribute to progressing lead compounds through our drug discovery process.
In this role you will…
- Contribute to project progression by using biochemical and cell-based screening and profiling assays to identify small molecules with characteristics meeting the Target Product Profile (TPP).
- Develop, evaluate, optimize and implement biochemical and cell-based assays that are either novel, commercially available, or from publications, depending on the needs of the project.
- Work independently liaising closely with colleagues within the project team and across functional groups, including AI and Chemistry, to ensure deadlines are met.
- Utilize your expertise in a variety of biochemical and cell-based assay formats to implement screening workflows in a timely and efficient manner. Prior experience with HPLC will be a plus.
- Maintain clear and efficient communication.
- Supervise and manage 1-3 Assay Biologists.
- Ensure experiments and results are documented appropriately in laboratory notebooks and that processes are standardized and documented in SOPs that are rooted in industry standard practices.
- Assist to coordinate laboratory operations and standardize compound management practices at the company.
Ideally, you have…
- A Ph.D. in Biology with a focus in Immunology, Neuroscience, Oncology, or a related field with post-doctoral plus 3+ years of experience at a high-growth biotechnology or pharmaceutical company.
- Experience with management of bench scientists.
- Experience in assay development, high-throughput screening, and automation of biological assays.
- Expertise in designing and executing screening test funnels to progress compounds from early drug discovery toward preclinical phases.
- Familiarity with preclinical drug development processes.
- Independence and adeptness in ambiguous situations, flexibility, and comfort in making decisions using minimal available data.
- A proven ability to work cross-functionally and adapt to changing priorities while managing multiple commitments with accuracy and efficiency to meet deadlines.
Compensation & benefits
- Extremely generous equity package coupled with competitive salary
- Excellent Healthcare benefits (employer covers 90% of insurance premiums)
- Generous vacation and parental leave
- Super cool team building activities
- Flexible work schedule
- Life Insurance (employer covers 100%)
- 451D Gym Membership
- Great colleagues